Pet travel to Europe after Brexit

Pet passports and travelling with your pets abroad

If you are thinking of travelling abroad with your cat or dog, it is good to be prepared well in advance. For travel within the EU your pet will need:

1. To be microchipped.
2. To have been vaccinated against rabies.
3. To have a pet passport.
4. Your dog may also require treatment for tapeworm before re-entry to the UK (depending on the country travelled from).

Animals may not re-enter the UK until 21 days after the initial rabies vaccination, so it is best to get this done early (the vaccine we currently use is valid for three years).

For travel outside the EU, different paperwork, tests and treatments may be required.

It is always best to check any entry requirements for all countries that you will be travelling through, including re-entry to the UK, prior to your trip as these regulations and requirements are frequently changed or updated. If any of the requirements are not met with then your pet may be put into quarantine or refused entry – it is the pet-owner’s responsibility to ensure these requirements are met.

For further information, please visit:

Parasites and travelling abroad

It is currently a requirement for the Pet Travel Scheme for a vet to treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport every time you want to bring it to the UK. The treatment must be given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (five days) before you enter the UK. This means that if you are abroad for a long weekend for example, your dog can be treated before leaving the UK. Otherwise you will need to find a vet abroad that is able to do this for you.

There is no longer a requirement for animals to be treated for ticks before re-entry to the UK, however we would urge pet-owners to ensure that their pets have good all-round parasite prevention prior to leaving the UK. Pets can be exposed to a number of diseases not currently endemic in the UK, for example babesiosis and ehrlichiosis (carried by ticks), and leishmaniasis (carried by sandflies), so please come in and chat to one of the vets to ensure your pet has the appropriate preventative treatment.

For further information, please visit:
or (and download excellent advice leaflet)